British Veterinary Association establishes antimicrobial usage guidelines
The eight points are:
1. Work with clients to avoid need for antimicrobials
2. Avoid inappropriate use
3. Choose the right drug for the right bug
4. Monitor antimicrobial sensitivity
5. Minimize prophylactic use
6. Minimize use perioperatively
7. Record and justify deviations from protocols
8. Report suspected failure to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate
The eight points support the international "One World, One Health" initiative, which promotes awareness of the link between animal diseases and human health. The BVA is working with the Federation of Veterinarians in Europe to use the poster and guidelines in other European Union countries as well.
"We hope that vets in all types of practice will put up the poster to serve as a constant reminder to them and their clients that responsible use of medicines is vitally important for the future of animal health," said BVA President Bill Reilly.