dvm360, DVM Newsmagazine, and Veterinary Economics named as finalists in national business journalism award competition
National Report — dvm360.com, DVM Newsmagazine, Veterinary Economics, and the dvm360 iPad app have all been named finalists in the 58th Annual Jesse H. Neal National Business Journalism Award. The Neals are considered to be the highest honor for business-to-business magazines in the United States.
The winners in each category will be announced on March 16, 2012 at a luncheon at the Mandarin Oriental in New York City.
The Jesse H. Neal National Business Journalism Awards is sponsored by New York-based American Business Media, a national organization representing business-to-business media companies. The awards drew entries in 18 categories and were created to recognize editorial excellence by independent business publications.
The five finalist entries include:
1. BEST WEBSITE: dvm360.com
dvm360.com is a portal website featuring content from the market's leading veterinary media brands DVM Newsmagazine, Veterinary Economics, Veterinary Medicine, Firstline, and CVC meetings. It was honored in 2011 and 2010 as the Best Website in the Jesse H. Neal National Business Journalism Awards and in 2011as the Best Website in the American Society for Business Publication Editors Azbee Awards.
2. BEST USE OF MOBILE: dvm360 for iPad
The dvm360 iPad application is the first and only veterinary publication designed specifically for the iPad. Veterinarians and team members can get the information and advice they need to succeed in practice right on their iPad: news, medicine, business, and team training. Each issue inside the app offers videos, audio clips, interactive quizzes, case studies, photo galleries, step-by-step instructions, and more for veterinary teams that strive to deliver exceptional patient care and client service. Download the app on your iPad here.
3. BEST SINGLE ISSUE OF A TABLOID/NEWSPAPER: July 2011 Issue, DVM Newsmagazine
This issue featured:
- Injuries take toll on area DVMs following Joplin tornado
- Pet hospice: Bridging the last stages of terminal illness and euthanasia
- Photo gallery: euthanasia, a veterinarian's gift to end suffering
- See a list of all articles from this issue
4. BEST INTEGRATED PACKAGE: Addressing the Decline in Veterinary Visits, Veterinary Economics
This package included the following:
- Articles in Veterinary Economics magazine and online at dvm360.com:
- An educational web module:
- Live CE seminars at CVC Washington, D.C., CVC Kansas City, and CVC San Diego, including:
- The decline in veterinary visits: A look at the big picture
- Bringing clients back: Communicating the value of care
- Bringing clients back: Examining your prices
- Bringing clients back: Reaching out to cat owners
- Bringing clients back: Offering payment options
5. BEST NEWS COVERAGE: EHV-1: Tracking an infectious disease outbreak, DVM Newsmagazine and dvm360.com
This EHV-1 coverage included:
- Equine herpes virus outbreak: 44 horses test positive in 9 Western states, veterinarians report
- Colorado State, Washington State veterinary teaching hospitals restrict horse intakes; veterinary officials fear more equine herpes virus cases will emerge
- Veterinary associations outline strategies to respond to equine herpes virus outbreak
- Equine herpes outbreak eases; officials say quarantine efforts limited greater risk
- See a list of all articles on this topic